What is Radon?

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas. It is invisible, odourless and tasteless, and can only be detected using special equipment.

How can I find out if my home has a high radon level?

The RPII has conducted a National Radon Survey (NRS) to find out which regions are most at risk from radon. These parts of the country are called High Radon Areas. Although this type of survey is useful as a general guide, the only way to find out if a specific house has a high level of radon is to test it.

What is the health risk associated with radon?

Radon is a carcinogen, in the same group as tobacco smoke and asbestos.
Long-term exposure to high levels of radon can irradiate lung tissue and increase the risk of lung cancer.

How is a radon measurement carried out in a home and how long does it take to measure?

A radon measurement is carried out entirely by post.  First, the householder is sent two radon detectors. To measure the radon levels, you simply place one of the detectors in an occupied bedroom, and the second detector in the main living area. We recommend that you leave the detectors in place for a minimum period of three months. This is because radon levels fluctuate with time. A reliable measurement will only be obtained over a three month or greater period.

What information will I be given?

Our test report will include the measurement period, the quantity of radon gas measured at both detectors’ locations, and the seasonally corrected annual average radon concentration for the whole house. It will also include our recommendations if any further action is required.

Can I carry out an instant test to check the radon level?

Yes, but this will not provide a reliable measurement of the average radon level. Radon levels vary according to climatic and other environmental factors. To obtain a reliable measurement, it is necessary to measure radon over a period of at least three months.

What is a High Radon Area?

A High Radon Area is an area in which the RPII has predicted that 10 per cent or more of the buildings are likely to have radon levels above the acceptable level.

What should I do if I need advice about radon or waterproofing?

Contact Us on 066-7115824 / 087-9804925 or fill out our Form :